Wednesday, May 8, 2013

SDSFF FILMMAKER INTERVIEW TAKE 6: ELISA BATES

MY BREAKFAST WITH ELISA


Elisa has been really busy so it was nice to meet up over breakfast, relax and chat for a few hours about her film AWAY, film festivals, Rockaway, the new Green Day documentary and almost everything in between.  AWAY has been receiving amazing reviews from the international film festival circuit and I couldn't wait to find out more about this unique film.
So Elisa brought her husband, George, I brought my camera and that burrito didn't stand a chance.

"What started as a thesis project ended with a much deeper understanding of Rockaway Beach," explains Elisa about the project that has actually consumed that last two years of her life.  Elisa has a background that includes design and art direction so when she chose to direct her first film, some people had a few concerns including her department heads and husband, George.  He stated, "Of course I backed her from the start but secretly thought it was going to be disastrous."  After Elisa shot for 3 months he finally got to see the footage and admitted, "Maybe this will work...actually, you got something here!"


AWAY spotlights women, a previously unseen portion of the strange and unique Rockaway Beach scene.  "I was inspired by how difficult surfing in New York and wanted to know more about these women who were out there." Trust me, these women are classic and I have watched AWAY numerous times to make sure I didn't miss anything.


I asked Elisa the standard, "what's next?" question and the response I got from the two of them was a bolt of creativity.  George told me he had asked after she had completed the film, "So do you want to go back into the real world?"
"No."
"Great, let's create a studio."
And I love them for this, more people to need to add a little risk to their lives.  So please check out www.eandgstudio.com and support independence.
I apologize for the condensed version of this epic conversation but I will return with a follow-up after we meet in Rockaway fro fish tacos.
HOOTS AND SHAKAS

SUNDAY, MAY 12TH (SET 8) 1:00-3:00PM
SURFING AND SHARKS- Julian Watson
*Great White Shark expert Q&A
RICKY WHITLOCK: L-1, T-12- Timothy A. Ryan
AWAY- Elisa Bates
MUCH BETTER NOW- Simon Griesser and Philip Cornarella
BOYS TO MEN: 100 WAVE CHALLENGE- Timothy A. Ryan
*Filmmaker Q&A
* Food and beverages provided

No comments:

Post a Comment